Automated Network Sizing (ANS)
An AFT Fathom Add-on Module
numerical searching algorithms and pipe flow simulation. The technology
was developed by AFT and has been a solution proven to save both capital
and recurring costs as well as significantly reduce energy usage. It
evaluates the complex interaction of variables in your system design,
revealing combinations of parameters that minimize cost.
Why Use the ANS Module?
Gone are the days of sizing each line individually. Automatically size all piping and system components in an integrated manner to minimize weight and cost. This is done using advanced numerical searching algorithms available in the ANS module.
Using their design firms or their own technical staff, owners can significantly reduce the initial costs of piping systems and ongoing recurring costs such as energy.
At the engineer’s option, they can include recurring costs in the automated sizing criteria. Further, engineer’s also have the option to include recurring costs only insofar as the automated sized system design does not exceed the engineer’s specified initial cost limit. Once an engineer has built a traditional AFT Fathom model, the extra effort to perform the automated sizing is as little as 1%. Also available is the option to minimize aggregate pipe weight which often tracks closely with monetary cost.
Empower Engineers to Design for Tomorrow with Advanced Sizing Technology
- Size pipes to minimize pipe weight, duct volume, or system monetary cost
- Input design requirements such as pressure, flow, velocity or NPSH to guide the automated sizing process
- Reduce pump energy usage
- Assign sized pipes and pumps to groups to enforce commonality of automated size selections
- Automatically size pipes, pumps and valves to satisfy requirements across multiple design cases organized into different scenarios
- Employ industry-leading searching algorithms to find the best sizing result
- Easily import piping and equipment costs from Excel
Save 10-15% on piping costs and energy costs!
- Capital cost savings
- Minimize the initial and life cycle cost of your system designs
- Achieve inherent system flow balance
- Ensure performance requirements are met over multiple design cases
- Understand what really drives your design
- Users familiar with AFT Fathom will be able to utilize the ANS module with little additional effort
The extra effort to perform automated sizing on an AFT Fathom model is as little as 1%
How it Works
Simply follow the Sizing Navigation Panel to:
- Sizing Objective: Select whether to minimize weight, volume or cost (this will determine your navigation path)
- Size Assignments: Identify individual pipes, or common groups of pipes to be sized
- Candidate Sets: Choose the range of allowable pipe sizes
- Design Requirements: Input and apply design requirements to the appropriate pipes and junctions
- Assign Cost Databases: (optional) For cost-based sizing, select the cost data for the piping and equipment
- Sizing Method: Select an algorithm to use, or just follow the default choices
- Dependent Design Cases: Select multiple operating cases you would like to include in the sizing